Tuesday, February 26, 2008

New thinkpad joins domain

I got my new company-issued Lenovo Thinkpad X61 7676A14 last Friday! Woot!

It's pre-loaded with "Vuisit-a" Vista Business, even though the sticker on the keyboard says Vista Basic. Nice, huh. Another pleasant surprise is that it's a Centrino Pro (I thought it was Centrino Duo only, not knowing of the existence of the Pro)! Centrino Pro is targeted at businesses. It's essentially the new Centrino Duo platform with an extra Intel Active Management chip. What this chip does is allow remote management and enhanced security features, even without an operating system.

Today I got the first chance to make it a domain member, but I kept getting "incorrect password" errors, despite disabling the usual "requiresign" etc... features. So I googled and found, among other links, this link.


- Click Start
- Click Control Panel
- Click System and Maintenance
- Click Administrative Tools
- Double-Click Local Security Policy
- In the left pane, click the triangle next to Local Policy
- In the left pane, click Security Options
- In the right pane near the bottom, double-click "Network security: LAN
manager authentication level"
- Click the drop-down box, and click "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session
security if negotiated"
- Click OK
- Restart the computer


But since I was already in gpedit.msc (my usual approach), I looked for it in Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level, and selected the same setting as above excerpt.

Voila! Instant access to the network! Next project is to replace our wireless access points with 802.11N... Woot!!!

No comments: