Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Windows Vista activation and validation

Yesterday, JTL asked for my help in activating Vista Home Premium on his newly purchased Neo QNote Core 2 Duo.

I didn't want to connect it to the office network, just as a precautionary measure. So I opted for the toll-free telephone activation.

I got an "invalid Installation ID" from the robot. Duh?!?! Then I noticed that there's some text on the bottom-right corner of the screen saying "... This copy of Windows is not genuine." OOPS!!!

I thought it was a pirated copy, until this morning when I got to research on it. Seems like there've been plenty of FALSE ALARMS regarding this activation/validation thing.

I told JTL that I'll try activating over the net (by connecting it to our office LAN), but I decided to avoid any detection of a potential pirated copy coming from our network, so I tried the telephone activation again. Voila! This time, it worked! Sweet, Microsoft, just sweet. Duh!!!

Wait a minute!!! Why is the "this copy is not genuine" text still on the corner of the screen?!?! Oh, so I still need to validate it, huh? Sheesh!

Will get there later... "Network Access: Local only" is now my problem. :-(

No comments: